Wednesday, December 10, 2008

I John background

I John

Author: John
See Ecclesiastical History by Eusebius; Book 6, Chapter 25, Verses 9-10.

Date: Unknown, nineties at the latest

Language: Greek

Place: Unknown, probably Ephesus
See Ecclesiastical History by Eusebius; Book 4, Chapter 14 and
Book 3, Chapter 31.

Purpose: That people would believe in Jesus, and for those who believe in Jesus, that they would obey Him.

What kind of book?: General epistle

Reflection: "[Jesus] is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world"(I John 2:2 NIV).

Jesus died on the Cross for the forgiveness of sins of everyone. Yet what He did needs to be receive. Receiving the atonement of Jesus is a choice, as He taught. How do you receive? By believing in Jesus. I am going to do something I have never done in this entire journal, but which I do most of the time in my personal journal, which is to say a prayer. + Thank you Jesus for being the atoning sacrifice for my sins, the reason that I can be with you forever! It is through Your Name Holy Jesus I pray. Amen.
Hunter Irvine