Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jude application

Regarding Jude, how do I apply this to myself?:

"Be merciful to those who doubt..."(Jude 1:22)(NIV)
It always helps me to do this if I remember what was going on with me before I was a follower of Jesus. Even after Jesus was reaching out to me, and even after I developed a private belief in the existence of God and the existence of the "Son" Jesus, I was not trusting Him. That only happened after I gave my heart to Jesus.

Regarding Jude, how do I apply this to my community?:
As I near the end of my project here, I think of things I have not talked about here. Yet this is my personal introduction to others of the New Testament, and not a commentary. But one thing to say here is that right now, I can not show people my friend Jesus. I recognize that when I am talking about my best friend, I am talking about someone that no one, not even me, can physically see. Once I spoke at a chapel service for a Christian High School. I told them how we can not physically see Jesus, yet a person believes in Him, a person can know Him.
To know Jesus requires relying on the witness of Jesus in the Scripture, and it requires relying on the witness of the Holy Spirit in your heart, though unseen.  That is why we need faith.  Yet it is not blind faith!  We have the Scripture!  We have a history of God working in the lives of Christians, true believers.  We have the Holy Spirit even today.
The fact is I would never dare to do a speaking engagement where I told the Gospel if I did not have Jesus with me. Jesus is actually always with me! Yet He is only with me in Spirit. And there have been brief times when I wondered if he had gone to be with somebody else. Dealing with Jesus who is unseen has challenges for everyone. Yet for me being someone who is a very "spiritual" person, I must remember that there are doubters who need understanding, yet who also need to be told the truth about Jesus the Messiah.
Hunter Irvine