Monday, December 8, 2008

1 Peter application

Regarding 1 Peter, how do I apply this to myself?:

"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us"(1 Peter 2:12)(NIV). [Holy Bible, New International Version Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.]

Once I had a speaking engagement at a retirement community, which I will not specify, about my backpacking journey on the Appalachian Trail. I had given the same talk in over thirty retirement communities, yet I was excited about speaking at such a large retirement community. Since I turned to Jesus near the beginning of my Appalachian Trail hike, which I consider the greatest event of my life, let alone the ultimate blessing during my hike, I always ended my talk, after the question and answer session, making a statement that we all need love, and that Jesus offers love. then I would sing, "Restore," by Sherri Youngward.
I thought my speaking engagement there went well, and I was given some compliments afterwards as I talked with folks for awhile. Then I went to the office, because I wanted to say thank you to the Activities Director who had booked me for the talk. She was standing in the office, holding a stack of papers. She had not attended the talk, but she had talked with a few people who came out of my talk. She told me that many people said they liked it, except there was one complaint about the "religious part." Such a comment brought a sinking feeling after I had just given my heart to those folks. I responded that I always mention God because He was a key part of my journey. I should have left it at that, but then I stated, using a word I never use, "Before the Appalachian Trail, I was a pagan." Right after saying this, the woman got a shocked look on her face and dropped all of her papers on the floor. I helped her pick them up.  Yet I probably will not be invited back.
Pagan is not a popular vocabulary word to use in our culture. And the current definition does not completely fit who I was before I turned to Christ. I was an Eagle Scout.  I was a Resident Advisor at Virginia Tech. I was not a murder, thief, or other type of criminal, and I was not even a meddler, as is discussed in I Peter 4:15. Yet I also was not doing God's will. God's will is what is truly good. And that includes the first point of loving people, even when the odds are high that criticism is going to result! I do God's will now, and I say, "Praise by to God."

Regarding 1 Peter, how do I apply this to my community?:

Jesus died for every single person who had lived and died on this planet before he came. Going back to my speaking engagement illustration, does everyone in retirement communities know this. Once I gave that same talk at the Meridian which is near Kipling and Colfax. To make a long story short, after I sang "Restore," I opened my eyes to see the tears in the eyes of a gentleman who had been sitting in the corner.
Hunter Irvine