Sunday, December 7, 2008

Hebrews application

Regarding Hebrews, how do I apply this to myself?

As a Gentile, I am in need of recognizing that the Messiah did not simply appear as the baby of a virgin Jewish woman. During a Bible study the other day I was reading Isaiah 7:14. "...The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel." That was written before 680 B.C.  (I add this at a later date.  My Old Testament Survey professor, who I like, argued that the word in Isaiah should translate as maiden, not virgin.  Soon thereafter, I was browsing in a book at the Used Christian Bookstore in Littleton, which was written by a Jewish scholar.  He said the modern argument that the word should not translate as virgin is wrong; it is a result of language revisionism.  He said the traditional translation as virgin is correct.


Regarding Hebrews, how do I apply this to my community?

Probably due to having a close friend who is Jewish in my youth, I have a heart for telling the Gospel to Jewish people. One follower of Jesus I really looked up to in my Christian infancy was a Jewish believer, Eddie Isler, who was the leader at the time of Career Fellowship, a blessed singles group in McLean, back in the 1990s.
Hunter Irvine