Saturday, December 6, 2008

2 Thessalonians application

Regarding 2 Thessalonians, how do I apply this to myself?
I look forward to the day that Jesus comes to take me home!
I am thankful to be His worker at this time, even though it is a rough journey.

Regarding 2 Thessalonians, how do I apply this to my community?
I use to be a member of an Episcopal church in Wheat Ridge, Colorado.  I have left the Episcopal/Anglican denomination for some doctrinal reasons I consider important, however I still have friends who are Episcopal and Anglican.  Praise be to God, I have friends in oodles of denominations.  I now choose a church based on the church, not the denominational, though there are certain denominations I would not join as a member.  I say all of this as a preface to a story of when I was at that church which had a wonderful "Alpha" program.  The person who was in charge of it was enthusiastic about the program. I appreciated his enthusiasm, but I felt he got completely carried away as he would make announcements during the church announcement time for the next session of Alpha months in advance. One time it was early summer, and sure enough, he raised his hands during the announcements and talked about the "Alpha" program that was coming up in the fall. Listening to the assuredness with which he talked about the upcoming program in the distant months, I amusingly thought to myself, "[He] definitely does not believe that Jesus could come back at any time." So as he continued to make the announcement Sunday after Sunday that summer, it became a personal joke for me. Yet one day I was praying to God, and we somehow got on the topic of the man's announcements, and I thought about my personal joke, thinking that the man does not think the return of Christ is imminent, and then I had a thought that I know came from God; "Do you?" That got my attention. I had not thought about that. No, I did not. From that time on, I quit my personal joke, yet I was convicted Jesus will return as He promised, at a time determined by the Father, and there will be people who are not anticipating it.
Hunter Irvine