Sunday, December 7, 2008

Titus application

Regarding Titus, how do I apply this to myself?

Live the Golden Rule. The other day I dropped something in King Soopers that I was going to buy. I put it on the shelf, since it had been on the floor after all, and I was going to grab another one that had not been on the floor, that I knew about. But then I thought about the "Golden Rule." I bought the one that I had dropped.


Regarding Titus, how do I apply this to my community?

A devoted follower of Jesus is unpopular in many work environments. Reading your Bible at lunch hour is enough to disturb certain employees or bosses. Something I discovered a long time ago, however, is that there is always a shortage of hard workers. I think the best compliment a worker can have is to be asked to come back to a job after you have resigned it. That has happened to me for three major jobs, and I accredit God with motivating me to work hard, which became part of my Christian witness. Once after I left my job as a paralegal, I was offered the job of my previous supervisor, Jim Stanko, by Jim who had been promoted, and now oversaw his old job position. He was in a Christian denomination, and not offended by my lunch Bible study or such. Yet even he asked me once to stop talking about religion with a fellow paralegal as we were getting into a serious discussion. Yet he knew I worked hard. Maybe he even knew that I did so because of my Christian ethic. If you have a job to do, do it well, and it will assist your Christian witness, even if there are some who will not notice.
Hunter Irvine