Monday, August 25, 2014

The Greatest Commandment


Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together.  One of them, and expert in the law, tested him with this question: “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”  Jesus replied: “`Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’  This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’  All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments” (Matthew 22:34-40 NIV).

   My final semester at Colorado Christian University, I took “Worldviews,” which covered the philosophical core of atheism, Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam, Judaism, and Christianity.  I engaged myself, since I want to better convey the truth of Christianity to people who have some false “worldviews.”  Now Biblical Judaism is not a false worldview, simply an incomplete worldview without the Messiah.  The Messiah, Jesus, furthered and fulfilled the Law and the Prophets, and He offered a new covenant to everyone which is an eternal covenant.  Near the end of the semester, we were discussing Judaism, and the professor asked the class, “Who can recite the Shema?”  I immediately blurted out, “I can!”
   In my four and a half years at CCU, I spoke out in my classes often, since I was studying at CCU in order to be able to do more ministry work and teach the Bible, thus I wanted to convey my knowledge in classrooms.  Plus, I just like to talk.  Yet as my time went on at CCU, professors knew I was fully engaged in all of my studies, and I did not need to go overboard to impress them.  As a long time student of the Bible, I eventually started abstaining from giving numerous answers in a class to give younger students a chance to answer questions.
   After my sudden response to the Shema question, I then thought it was an easy answer some younger student could give.  So I then said to Professor Murphy, “Oh, I am always opening my mouth in this class.  Someone else can answer the question.”  There was a silence in the classroom; utter silence.  It was near the end of the semester when students are overloaded with papers and preparations for finals, and apparently some students had not carefully read the long reading assignment for our class that day.  The silence was only filled when Bre, who sat next to me, spoke: “Hunter, open your mouth.”  So I did.  If sister Bre tells me to do something, I do it.  I have seen her take out women on the basketball court who are much stronger than me.  The Shema is found in Deuteronomy 6:4 – “Hear, O’Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one” (NIV).  The Shema originally was only Deuteronomy 6:4, which was consistently recited by worshipers who are Jewish, though it is often expanded in current day Jewish liturgical worship.
   Deuteronomy 6:5, which is really a continuation of the purpose of Deuteronomy 6:4, is “Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength” (NIV).  In the Scripture passage of Matthew 22:34-40, Jesus answered the Pharisees by quoting Deuteronomy 6:5 and then gave the command found in Leviticus 19:18.  Love God!  Love people!  These are the core commandments of God.  Love.
   Last weekend I wrote about the sand sculpturing ministry at Ocean City, Maryland, a subject I have thought about writing for years.  Now I get into an uncomfortable Ocean City subject following those nice childhood memories at the beach: I have some dark memories from my later teen years.  No, I never got into sinful actions which are prevalent in such an environment, such as sex outside of marriage and drunkenness.  Yet just being there a few times in my late teen years, I was around such wrong doings.  And even in my heart there was some sin.
   For high school students in Northern Virginia, the popular thing to do after graduating was, and may still be, to spend a week at Ocean City.  One week before graduation, I was asked by a kind student at my high school, Paul, if I would join him for a week in a condo his parents had as a “time share.”  Fortunate to receive this invitation by a genuinely nice guy, a few days after graduation we drove to the beach.  Putt-putt golf and smiling at cute girls was the extent of our big evenings on the town.  Yet one night, while Paul went out with some other friends of his, I spent the evening at a beach house rented by a group of guys from our high school.  There were a bunch of students there.  Most of them were drinking beer and either playing cards or watching students play cards.  With most focused on the card game or each other, no one even seemed to care I was there.
   To skip some details, at one point I sat on a chair in the living room feeling awkward and alone among a crowd.  Then I went outside on the back balcony, which overlooked a bay.  It was extremely dark out, and the water of the bay was dark.  The only light came from a few lights far in the distance towards the beach, which gave a slight reflection on the water.  I stood on the balcony for a long time thinking.  Deep down in my soul, I had the realization that high school graduation celebration for some is actually “darkness.”  I also realized that even though I was not involved in debauchery, I also needed a light.  I needed and wanted to be delivered from darkness.  Though it would be years before I would learn that Jesus is the Light, and then a process from there to learn to walk by His guidance, it was a step in deciding I did not want to do that which seems attractive, yet which inhibits love.
   I now have lived twenty-four years bonded with Jesus, the One who is Love.  I finally know how to carry out these two commandments of God: Receive the true love of Jesus, and then live by His love.  With the love of Jesus, you are enabled to love God and your neighbors.  I can give a pertinent example of the love of Christ; sometimes I pray for people from my high school, most of whom I have not seen since 1985 or since the one reunion I went to in 1995.  I sometimes pray for people from my youth, whom I have not seen for years, that they would know Jesus as their Savior and Lord.  For people I did not love when I was in high school, God now has me caring about and wanting them to know Jesus, even though I am far away from most of them.  People whom all these years later I could easily ignore or even have disdain for, who themselves might ignore or have disdain for me, I now have love for.  If you want to carry out the “Great Commandments,” ask Jesus for His love.  Then you will be able to live by true Love!
  Hunter Irvine