Saturday, October 11, 2014

Shalom from Jesus


Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you… (John 14:27 NIV).
In my youth, my main activity was Boy Scouts.  I was not a follower of Jesus, though I did have a private belief there is a God.  My family only went to church on a few rare occasions.  I was in a church building most every week however since Troop 150 met in a church in Annandale, Virginia.  We had a premier troop thanks to two extremely dedicated leaders, and I learned much in Boy Scouts which has benefited me my entire life.  After years of hard work as a Boy Scout, I completed all of the work to gain the rank of Eagle minus an interview with an Eagle Scout review committee, and an interview with a minister.  This was back in the early 1980’s, and I think they discontinued that minister interview requirement soon after.  A meeting was set up between myself a minister of the church where our troop meet every week.
Though meeting a minister was foreign to me, I was not nervous, rather prepared to discuss what a good Boy Scout I had been as I approached the finish line.  I was prepared to talk about my morality, and I had come up with some excuse as to why my family did not go to church, figuring he would ask those questions.  Yet he did not ask any such questions, yet he was extremely reserved, and only asked me some questions about my involvement in Troop 150.  He said nothing about God, and he did not pray with me.  It was a short and rather uninteresting interview.
Before the interview, I had to wait a few minutes for the minister to become available.  I stood in the hallway outside of the main office area.  That area of the church was on the other side of the medium sized church where our Boy Scout troop met every Monday night in the Hughes Fellowship Hall, plus the offices were on the second floor whereas the fellowship hall was on the first floor.  I had only been up by the offices once or twice in passing.  On the north side of the hallway was a long window where you could look down into the church courtyard.  Of all of the times I had been at meetings at the church, I had never closely looked at the courtyard.  I sat staring at it out of the window.  I began thinking of how peaceful it looked.  I considered spending time in that courtyard would bring peace apart from the world which has so much strife.  As a sixteen year old, I considered that having access to such a courtyard would bring peace.  I considered that people who work for churches were blessed with an extra opportunity for peace.
Ironically, after following Jesus for twenty-four years, I have been shocked how much strife there is in some churches I have worshiped in; strife which results from disagreements regarding core beliefs about God among various members of a given church.  Genuine peace seems to be lacking in some churches, even if it is hidden under the surface.
And I came to assume church employees have more peace than anyone in the world back when I was a Boy Scout, yet after serving as a youth pastor, I have learned that pastors who proclaim the Gospel and who adhere to the teachings of Jesus can be subject to much criticism since there are some people in some churches who advocate church or denomination traditions over the teachings of Jesus as accurately preserved in Scripture, or people in a church might have drastically different interpretations of Biblical teachings.
And any disputing aside, most pastors have to deal with so many people, I do not see how pastors get much “peace” at all.  In this electronic day and age, a pastor must have to work even harder to escape to a church courtyard just to get a forty-five minute peaceful lunch.
Seven years after that time of longingly looking into the church courtyard, I gave my heart to Jesus, and I began a journey in this world following Him.  And in these years of journeying, I have learned an important lesson; Peace does not come from a place or a situation, rather Peace comes from a Person: Jesus, the Prince of Peace.  Of course circumstances influence whether you are having a week that is more smooth or more rough.  Circumstances are important, and they can be horrible.  Yet true peace is a state of the heart, and true peace can be known even when things are horrible.
I am a student of the Bible, and I know the reason for suffering in this world is because people have been separated from God and because we all do things counter to the will of God.  But I do not know why God allows so much suffering.  It is humbling.  It is a subject where I must simply trust God.  I do know that being unified with God is possible by believing in Jesus.  And I do know there have been times in my life when I have had a peace from Jesus that likewise surpassed my understanding.  Scripture teaches that in the love of Jesus, there is peace.  And the reason why is that Jesus Christ is risen from the grave.  Though crucified on a cross as an atonement for the sins of anyone, Jesus was resurrected on the third day, and He is alive right now.  In glory in heaven, he is also working through the Holy Spirit in the world.  I do not always sense that, yet that is what the Bible teaches.  Jesus suffered more than we can comprehend because He loves all people.  Jesus Christ loves you.  Turn to Him and you will have strife you would not have had otherwise, yet there is disaster you will be spared, starting with spiritual death, and you will always have peace available in your heart from Jesus.  Shalom.  The peace of Jesus be with you today.
Hunter Irvine