Friday, October 6, 2023

Thrive in college - DREAM ON!


                            Choose your own dreams!

   I happen to be one of those crazy Christians who is convicted that God wants good dreams to come true for us.  For a vision of good dreams you need God’s guidance and encouragement.  And for dreams to come true, the objective is to merge your passions with your dreams.  Fulfillment will result.
   In pursuit of a college education, align your major with your passion, or at least with your intense interests.  Then ponder whether your passion and/or interests fit your dreams, or can in some manner support your dreams.

   If you have yet to find your passion or passions, keep working to discover them.  Maybe you will find them in the midst of learning new subjects or embarking on new adventures during your early time in college.  Learning is a blessing.  Thus an opportunity to keep learning is a blessing.

   My junior year of high school was crummy.  Looking back, I realize four out of my six classes were not a fit for me.  Those four classes did not fit my gifts or interests!  From the start I was on a wrong track in high school because my mom wanted me to earn the “Governor’s Seal.”  She calculated that would look good on a college application.  Her intention was good, since mom sincerely wanted me to attend a good college.  Yet long term success from high school or college work does not come from highlighted accomplishments; rather it comes from a good education.
   Considering my ill-advised high school plan, in retrospect it makes sense that I became discouraged about future dreams.  In fact, as discouragement escalated in high school, attending college merely became a career goal.  (Yet it did become a strong goal during my freshman orientation, but I will spare you that story.)  Also, I did want to please my parents who were so supportive of a college education.
   Yet in the midst of my work at Virginia Tech, flourishing there became my dream!  And my education and degree from such a great university supported some future dreams.

   On a grand note, attending and graduating from Colorado Christian University was my dream!  I made a huge sacrifice to study there in my forties.  Goodness resulted, and again, future dreams were supported.

   To ultimately succeed, there is even a deeper foundation: Love.
   Whatever your pursuit, loving people is the best you can accomplish.  Loving people is what God wants us to do.  Radical!  Reflecting here on my years at Virginia Tech and my years at CCU, I realize my greatest accomplishment in college was loving people.

   And know today that Jesus loves you!!!

   In my college years I made many mistakes, yet I also made many great decisions.  This has been emotional reflecting back.  I hope this eight point series helps you to thrive in college, for real.

                            What is a dream you have?


+  Heavenly Father, in this world full of so much trouble, I pray for help for each of us to further gain opportunities to carry out our passions and to live our dreams.  And may we rely on You to love people all along.
It is through the loving name of You Lord Jesus I pray.  Amen.

Hunter Irvine