Thursday, October 5, 2023

Thrive in college – PERSEVERE


                                                    Persevere by prayer!

   Reassessments are a part of persevering.  Sometimes adjustments are needed, such as changing a major.  Adjustments are a courageous part of persevering since they put you in a position to carry on.
   Reassessments are best when you are not under pressure.  Summers might be the most conducive time when in college.  That monumental career change I told of in my last piece was not finalized until weeks into my summer.  The pressure was less, and I had time to ponder.

   Praying is critical.  Once I talked with a minister in a café in Ithaca, New York.  Turns out we both shared the same Alma mater, though he studied four years earlier than myself.  Now I was not a Christian at Virginia Tech.  He was.  His major was Computer Science there at a time in history when the computer field was starting to swell from obscurity to being a standard part of society.
   Yet at some point during the spring quarter of his sophomore year, he was considering shifting to a career in Christian ministry.  What he did was wise.  One day when he had no commitments, he took the entire day off.  He went to some quiet area away from campus.  Then he prayed and pondered.  After doing so, he made his decision.  (He decided to enter the ministry, yet he also decided to complete his Computer Science degree at Virginia Tech over the next two years.)

   At some point in college, you should consider and pray whether you are on the correct track.  If you are, keep going!

   Be willing to pray for help, and not just when there is a crisis.
   I like to socialize.  Praying is simply talking with God, which includes listening to God, first and foremost through Scripture.  Then your heart will be prepared for you to make caring decisions, and your mind will be more focused to make wise decisions.

   Praying is not simply an action for huge decisions.  In order to persevere, sometimes you need to pray simply to make it through a rough week.  Seriously, I am long out of college, but last week I had a rough week.  I needed God to help me make it.  He did.


What is a challenging goal you accomplished which required perseverance?

Hunter Irvine