Wednesday, October 4, 2023

Thrive in college - DISCOVER


       Amidst all the learning, discover more about your passions and gifts.

   A life changing discovery at Virginia Tech came about in the midst of a period of being overloaded.  Spring quarter my junior year I needed to take 18 hours.  In working out my schedule months ahead, I had five intense classes all picked out.  There remained one elective to choose.  Looking at the academic catalog, I noticed a “Creative Writing” class.  That sounded enjoyable.  It also sounded easier, thus I could focus on my challenging law classes which supported my career track.
   Yet choosing that one elective class soon changed the course of my career plan.  The reasons: First, the professor, Ed Falco, was an excellent creative writing teacher who fostered an opportunity for students to discover their writing ability.  Second, I learned of my gift and passion for storytelling.
   As it turned out, Creative Writing gained my greatest attention that quarter.  I truly enjoyed it.

   My final semester of my senior year, I took “Advanced Creative Writing” with the same professor.  (Again, Virginia Tech switched to the semester system that year.)  Jumping to the end of that semester, I experienced one of the vital events on my journey in this world.  Late one afternoon near the end of the week just before finals, I happen to ‘run into’ Professor Falco in a stairwell of the English building.  Our conversation was brief, yet his sincere statement to me had a huge influence on my life.  Professor Falco told me I was the best writer he had ever had in any of his classes.
   What he said to me gave me the courage to change my career course that upcoming summer, a monumental change in my life for the best.

   In this complex world, there is an opportunity to learn every day.  Yet college is a unique opportunity to discover even more about your passions and gifts.  Maybe you will even discover a new passion or gift.  The only way to do so: Commit to learning and working.

       What is a gift you have?

Hunter Irvine