Thursday, February 3, 2022

The work of God


   I enjoy writing, which I fully discovered within weeks after beginning a creative writing class with a special professor, Ed Falco, years ago when a student at Virginia Tech.  In his classes, my gift blossomed and my career goal even shifted due to his soft influence.

   One day in class, Professor Ed Falco announced that author Toni Morrison would be speaking on campus in the coming week and he strongly encouraged us all to attend.  Having read one of her books for another English class, I was interested.  So on the specific afternoon, I went to the elegant room in the alumni building and joined a group of about sixty students for her talk.  Sitting in a chair with a relaxed demeanor, Toni had a strong presence.  She naturally spoke with confidence.  Then there was a question and answer time.
   During an exchange with one student, she made a statement which I latched on to.  Toni Morrison stated: “Writing is hard work!”

   I remain grateful that Toni Morrison cautioned us, since from the start I understood, and accepted, the challenge.  I wanted to write.  And write I have, in a manner I never imagined at that time.  As a follower of Jesus, writing about Jesus has been a part of my ministry.  For a decade, I have poured my heart into Scripture Love Blog.  My motivation has always been to tell about Jesus.  I want you to know I have spent countless hours writing and re-writing.  It has been hard work.  The sacrifice has been immense.  Yet if you, whoever you may be, were the only person to read some of my writings, it has been worth it.

   Today, I want to express to those of you who have been reading my blog over the years: Thank you!!!

   We all have work to do daily.  Whatever your occupation, the work world seems more stressful in my opinion due to electronic overload.  And for those of us who pursue our dreams, there is always challenging work to carry out.

   Yet whatever your circumstances, or mine, may we all remember the teaching of Jesus regarding the foundation of our calling: “Jesus answered, ‘The work of God is this: to believe in the One he has sent’” (John 6:29 NIV).

   Back at that time when I was a student at Virginia Tech, I was not a follower of Jesus.  My four years at college were a special time in my life, since I had some friends and I had an important job as a Resident Advisor.  I even attended the first bowl game Virginia Tech ever won.  However, deep in my heart, I was spiritually dying.  I did not have true love in my heart.  I am eternally grateful to God who continued to gently reach out to me in His Love.  And in the year after graduation, in April of 1990, I gave my heart to Jesus.  I live in gratitude I have been saved.

   If you want to be in a relationship with Jesus as your Savior, Lord, and Best Friend, please know today that He loves you.  Jesus Christ died on a cross for the forgiveness of sins of anyone.  He was the substitute for the consequence of wrong doings, which is spiritual death.  Then he was resurrected.  If you believe in Jesus, you will have eternal life with Him in heaven.

   Again, thank you for reading my blog.
love, Hunter