Friday, October 14, 2016

Colossians 3:1-4

Colossians 3:1-4    Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God.  Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things.  For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you will also appear with him in glory (NIV).

   The standards and concerns of people in this world would comprise quite the long list.  The standard of God is succinct: be focused on His ways, and not on “earthly” ways.  The standard of God is to be ultimately committed to heaven.
   Being seated at the right hand of the Father symbolizes Jesus now reigns in heaven with the Father, because sitting down means royalty, and being at the right hand means power.  With boldness Paul exhorts us to follow Christ who is unseen, yet who was God incarnate, who was resurrected, who ascended into heaven, and who now reigns.  If you believed in Jesus as your Savior and Lord, you are saved by Jesus, and your life is in Christ.  Grow in Christ, since though your stature in the world may be slighted, your beautiful life “hidden” in Christ will one day be revealed.
   Driving by a car dealership near I 25 in Denver about one year ago, I read the large sign they have.  It stated: “Your true character is shown by what you do when no one is watching.”  I like that.  This statement does exclude God who can know what everyone is doing all the time.  And though your character is expressed by what you do, a person’s character is rooted in his or her heart.  And God knows all of our hearts.  He wants us to be the loving people He created us to be.
   Ever since my youth I have dreamed of being married, but it has yet to happen.  Thus few people know what I do throughout many hours of a given day.  Most do not know I almost always start my day by talking with God.  Most do not know I like to study the Bible in the morning.  Most do not know I talk some with God on frequent walks.  Most do not know I frequently ponder theological issues.  Most probably do not care.  God knows, and God cares.  Being focused on Him, our loving relationship grows.  And one day my relationship with Jesus will be fully revealed!
   All people are in utter need of God.  Having your life hidden in Christ does not mean your witness for our loving Savior should in any manner be suppressed.  Rather it means there will be complete exposure.  For example, by you reading my writing here on this blog, you know much more about me than the person in the grocery store who sees me wearing a cross and making a brief statement about Jesus during a window of opportunity in the check-out line.  Yet a simple witness for Jesus by you and me wherever could be the difference between someone opening his or her heart to Jesus.
   This is a fallen tragic world.  Jesus Christ died on a cross for the forgiveness of sins of anyone.  If you believe in Jesus, you will be saved, and you will share in His eternal goodness.  How incredible.  Praise be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit!!!
Hunter