Monday, October 24, 2016

Colossians 3:16-17

Colossians 3:16-17   Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God.  And whatever your do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him (NIV).

   One of my favorite memories of my youngest sister is when she was in early elementary school.  There was a period of time when she would often dress up.  Once she was in an outfit on the 31st of October, and my family was at a mall in Virginia.  With complete confidence, my sister went on a stage right in the center of the mall and sang a song from a musical in front of numerous people.  She was great!  Kids often get encouraged to use their talents.  If only us adults would get more encouragement about using our talents.  Fortunately, when I was a young Christian, I learned God wants me to sing away to Him.  God is not concerned with our musical ability, rather He cares about the expression of our heart.  I did start singing to Him, and I liked it!
   Once when in an extremely challenging situation, I made an attempt to sing a song from my Christian song book every day.  Sometimes I was so tired, distraught, or lonely I did not feel like singing.  Yet I noticed that on the days I did, even when I did not feel like it, I honestly felt a little better prepared to handle the challenges of the day.  I have become more diligent in my singing practice, using a great song book I have.  Especially in this day and age where in many churches you cannot hear yourself sing since the rock bands are so loud, and some are unfortunately performance oriented, I think singing a song by yourself where you can hear yourself sing is great.  Whatever the circumstances, God can hear you sing.
   The primary author of this letter, Paul, sure practiced what he preached when he was in prison in Philippi.  “About midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the other prisoners were listening to them” (Acts 16:25 NIV).
   Singing sure does go on in heaven as is shown in John’s vision.  “And when he had taken [the scroll], the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb.  Each one had a harp and they were holding golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.  And they sang a new song: ‘You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation’” (Revelation 5:8-9 NIV).
   Even Jesus sang hymns!  And He did so at the time right before His unimaginable agony in the Garden of Gethsemane.  After celebrating the Passover feast in the upper room, when Jesus instigated the Lord’s Supper, Scripture states how the meal was concluded: “When they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives” (Matthew 26:30 NIV).  Even the Messiah sang.  The sacrifice Jesus made for us gives us reason to sing.  Even more, the sacrifice Jesus made calls for us to allow the “word of Christ” to be nourished in our heart and to allow the Spirit of Christ to ever remind us of that sacrifice by Jesus.  Then we can do everything, with gratitude, in the name of Jesus Christ.
Hunter Irvine