Wednesday, July 30, 2014

My Parents Are Divorced - INTRODUCTION

My Parents Are Divorced
by Hunter Irvine
Copyright 2005 by Hunter Irvine
All rights reserved.
(Revised in 2014)

All Scripture quotations taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION® NIV®.  Copyright 1973, 1978, 1984 by the International Bible Society.  Used by permission of Zondervan.  All rights reserved.

All photographs copyright randyhofman.com.  Used by permission.

Dedicated to my dad, and to my mom.

A special thanks to Lillian Mae Irvine, Grandma, for support as I edited away for years.

Contents:
Introduction
Chapter 1              You Are Loved
Chapter 2              Forever Family
Chapter 3              Forgiveness
Chapter 4              Healing
Chapter 5              Love
Chapter 6              Honor
Chapter 7              Dream On


INTRODUCTION
   During the summer of 2000, I was asked to join a church as a counselor for one week at a Christian youth conference held at facilities of the University of Colorado in Boulder.  The conference was carried out by a specific denomination, though students of any denomination or students who were not Christians were invited.  A minister from a neighboring church asked me if I would serve as a counselor at the conference for their church youth group since I had a week off from my work as a part-time youth pastor at my church.  The event involved speakers, afternoon seminars, and some evening Christian rock concerts.  We slept in the University of Colorado dorms, we ate great food in the cafeteria, and the speakers were all in the coliseum.  There were no lions for us Christians, rather wonderful hospitality.  It was a special conference.  One day, as my small group was meeting during a designated time to discuss some points made by a speaker, I became convinced God wanted me to go and pray about my parent’s divorce.  Once the idea hit me, it made complete sense to me, and I knew right where to go and pray.  Both my dad and my mom graduated from the University of Colorado, Boulder, in 1965.  That is where they met, in the library, and that is where they fell in love.  They were married on September 2, 1965, a few months after their graduation.
   During free time that afternoon, rather than playing soccer with the students as I liked to do, I went by myself to the University of Colorado library.  The sun was shining brightly, there were few college students around that summer day, and no students from the conference were around that area of campus.  Going to the entrance of the library, I realized that inside the library was not where I wanted to pray.  I went in the middle of a grassy area to the side of the library, where no one was sitting, and I sat on the lush green grass.  Then by the ivy covered stone walls, I started praying.  I prayed much, talking on and on about various details concerning my parents.  I thought about many past family problems, hurts surrounding my upbringing, my parent’s separation, and their eventual divorce after 27 years of marriage.  The praying finally came to a point where, as I relied on Jesus, I forgave my parents for wrongs they had done which hurt me.  As prayer continued, I felt as though I still had many family problems to express, yet on the other hand I felt like it would be overwhelming to continue.  Then, with a booming sound, the bell rang in a bell tower there at the University of Colorado.  I felt as though my prayer time was over.  I had forgiven my parents.
   That did not turn out to be the end of my family problems.  That did not turn out to be the end of struggles in my life, such as my struggle with anger.  Yet that was a glorious day where there was healing galore in my heart.  I offer this book to you simply saying I am convicted that Jesus loves you, and that He has the solution which will result in healing and joy if you have been hurt by the divorce of your parents.  Ultimately, the love of Jesus is what this book is about.