Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ephesians application

Regarding Ephesians, how do I apply this to myself?:

"...Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit..." (Ephesians 1:13 NIV).
  I was baptized with water by an ordained minister when I was only about seven weeks old.  However, I was not sealed with the Holy Spirit at that time.  This Scripture teaches you are sealed by the Holy Spirit when you believe!  That is when the baptism of the Holy Spirit takes place, the baptizer being Jesus!  It is not a work of man, rather a work of God.

Regarding Ephesians, how do I apply this to my community?
Whenever I hear the last passage of Ephesians, "the armor of God," I think of a piece I read once by my sister in Christ, Kathy Kellogg. When I was a new Christian, and began to get involved with a special singles group, Salt and Light at The Falls Church, there was a woman who served there who was always nice to me. As someone who was still evaluating "church people," Kathy made a special impression on me. As I started to do more with the group, she was starting to do less with the group, yet I got to know her a little more as a friend in church. I really did see her as a "big" sister (though I think I was five days older) because of her Christian maturity. Along with her Christian maturity was a zeal for living. She took me to a baseball game in Baltimore once when her date was unable to make it. We had a super great time. I remember dancing with her as we tried to get on the jumbo tron.
Concerning the armor of God passage, when I first heard that, it sounded weird to me. I thought of Jesus as the Prince of Peace, and the military analogies seemed out of place. Then one month, Kathy wrote the main piece for our singles group newsletter. It was a piece on the "armor of God." Here was a woman, who worked for a senator, who wrote about that passage as if she suited up in that armor every morning. When the plane crashed in 1996 which was carrying a number of people from the Commerce Department on it including Ron Brown, the Secretary of Commerce, Kathy was on that plane, and she physically died. When I went to the ceremony at Dover Air Force Base where they took the caskets off of the cargo plane one by one, it was too much for me to think that Kathy's mutilated body was in one of those caskets. Kathy was someone who loved Jesus. She was someone who realized that the Bible was completely true (she was the first person to ever convey that to me). And she was someone who spiritually suited up in Christ's love, and is in that Love forever.
Hunter Irvine