Tuesday, November 4, 2008

2 Corinthians application

Regarding 2 Corinthians, how do I apply this to myself?

  In all of the Christian reading I have done, there have been a few times when I read a particular chapter of a Christian book and knew Christ had a lesson for me to apply all my days. One such time was when I read one of the introduction chapters of The Sermon on the Mount, by Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones. He gave two key to principles for studying the Bible. First, always take a verse in the context of the passage or even the entire chapter or book. And second, look at the spirit, not the letter.
  I just learned that he probably got the second point from 2 Corinthians 3:6. This is helpful for me when studying Paul since his writing sometimes contains poor semantics, and he can go off on tangents. Yet just as he told people in the church that they were a letter from Christ written with the Spirit of the living God (2 Corinthians 3:3), Paul was a man inspired by the Spirit of the living God, and God's messages are found in his writing.

Regarding 2 Corinthians, how do I apply this to my community?

2 Corinthians 3:18
  "And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit" (NIV).
Many years ago, someone did something hurtful to me in church. Afterwards, I had the opportunity to spend a day with only God, getting healing. The following Sunday, I went to a Bible study I attended every Sunday morning. Later on, a woman who had been in that Bible study who also knew what had happened to me told me: I had been worried about you, but when you sat down, your face was glowing, and I thought of Moses' face, and I knew you were alright. In this hurtful world, we followers of Jesus are called to rely on the Spirit of Christ to enable us to show His glory to whoever will notice.
Hunter Irvine