Tuesday, November 4, 2008

2 Corinthians backgound

2 Corinthians

Author: Paul
[See Ecclesiastical History by Eusebius; Book 3, Chapter 25, Verse 2.]

Date: Possibly 57 A.D. (1)

Language: Greek

Place: Macedonia (2 Corinthians 1:16, 7:5)

Purpose: Paul is trying to strengthen the repentant. Paul is also trying to convince the rebellious. (Professor Tofoya)

What kind of book?: Letter re: specific occasion

Reflection: When I was young, when I did something wrong, in addition to any punishment, my mom would often instruct me to say "I'm sorry." I always did, but I often did not mean it. I was saying it because I had to. As one who has received the forgiveness of sins from Jesus, whenever I have told Him, "I am sorry," I meant it. It is one of the great phrases of love for fallible people. It is an all too rare phrase.  I want to say it more.

Hunter Irvine
(1) J.B. Phillips, Letters to Young Churches (New York: The Macmillian Company, 1947), 68.