Thursday, September 28, 2023

Thrive in college - RECREATION and REST


   Both exercise and rest improve a mode of studying.

Regarding exercise:  When your body is getting more oxygen, your brain functions better.  Exercise fosters this.
   So what exercise should you do?
                                                Whatever you like to do!

   When I do a physical activity I like, it is not “exercising,” it is a fun activity.  For example, I will get out of bed early to play a game of golf.  Pick a physical activity you like, and then engage consistently.  And hopefully you like several physical activities.  Mix it up a bit.
   A college is a unique environment where you can find people to do one of numerous sports or recreations.
   And walking, running, swimming, lifting weights, etc., can all be done by you any time you want.

   Get creative!  At Virginia Tech, my friend and I use to throw a flying disc on the drill field in the afternoon sometimes.  That is still a fond memory.
   To keep active daily my senior year, I would walk up the stairs in my seven story dorm every day after classes and after eating.  What a great daily practice!
   And I learned Friday nights were my time to shine on the basketball court my senior year since all of the athletes were out socializing.

   Honestly, if I had Virginia Tech to do over again, I would spend less times watching sports, and much more time going on a Saturday hike in the beautiful mountains.
   Stay active!

Regarding rest:  Weekly you should take a day of rest from school work, or two half days if that is the way your schedule works out.
   You and I are human, and we humans need rest in order to refresh our souls, our minds, and our bodies.  Make this a top priority!

   Honestly, working various jobs through my life, I have always preferred the routine of the work world, because at 5:15pm or whatever time, I am off until the next day, and I have my weekends free.  Whereas in college, there is always another chapter you could be reading.  Having that load looming can cause stress.  And having a sporadic schedule can add stress.
   Develop your own schedule!  Build your own routine!
   There will be plenty of occasions when it will be best or necessary to call an audible, yet a consistent routine leads to success in college.

   And if you worship in a church, there will be a number of periods when it is “crunch time.”  At such a time, it may be best to take a morning off from “church,” and spend that time in intimate worship of God in your room.  Corporate worship can be spiritually enriching, yet sometimes you need minimal distractions in order to relish and rest in the true love of our loving God.

                    What is your favorite recreation activity?

Hunter Irvine