Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Study with success!


   The best way to engage in studying is by interacting with your textbook.  Do not just read a textbook, rather interact with that book!
   How do you interact with your book?
You highlight key points in your book.
You ponder what the author is saying.
You respond to what he or she is saying by writing notes in the margin.

   Interacting with your book, you go from listening to a long lecture to having a conversation.  You are more likely to remember what took place in a conversation.

   One of my great unexpected blessings as a student at Colorado Christian University was my opportunity to serve as the Biblical Studies tutor for one year.  I totally enjoyed it.
   In that position as a tutor, I stated to every student: ‘A highlighter is your most important study tool.’
   I know there is much more online reading today.  Yet you can still do electronic highlighting.
   One barrier to highlighting: When I was in high school, all of our textbooks issued to us students were the property of that school.  We were instructed not to write in them at all.  How limiting.  Unfortunately, many students develop the mentality that it is wrong to write in a book, even when they are at the university level where textbooks are often their own property.  If that is the case with you, write in one of the first few pages of one of your textbooks which you own: 'Highlighting my book is a good thing!'

   When reading library books for research papers, you obviously cannot highlight.  For a physical library book, plop sticky notes right where main points are stated in the book, so you will have that information marked for when you start writing the research paper.

   Finally, write all you want in books which you own.  It is your book, thus get personal!  When I really agree with what the author is saying, it often helps to write personal supporting statements in the margin, and to give my logical reasoning.  When I really disagree with what the author is saying, it sometimes helps to write out my disagreements in the margin, and to give my logical reasoning.
   Ponder what the author is saying!  Then respond in writing!

   The bottom line: Highlighting, pondering statements made by the author, and responding in writing in the margins of the book, fosters textbook engagement.

   My formal education at all levels was not interactive enough in my opinion, with the exception of Colorado Christian University.  Yet one great blessing regarding my life long education over many years: When reading, I have interacted with countless books with a highlighter and a pen.  If you do likewise, you will learn more.  And if you are a student, you will have key information on paper to review before you take an exam.
Hunter Irvine