Tuesday, October 7, 2008

John application

Regarding John, how do I apply this to myself?
For five services in the fall of 2002, I filled in as the worship service leader for a worship service at The Homestead, an independent and assisted living community in Lakewood. The small group was really nice to me. I especially remember Elizabeth, who after the first service, would be the first one to come in that room, cruising along with her "walker," and she would tell others compliments about me, which was a real blessing for a sub. We sang songs, ("What a Friend We Have in Jesus" was always a must), and then I was supposed to preach for about twenty minutes. One of my favorite sermons was from John, where Jesus and Martha talk after the death of Lazarus. What Jesus said, in that oriental style, is a main theme of John, which is that a person needs to believe in Him for eternal life. I believe in Jesus. Praise be to Him!

Regarding John, how do I apply this to my community?
Just as John is written in a much different style than Matthew, I am called to tell the Gospel to people in my own manners.

Hunter Irvine