Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Acts background

ACTS

Author: Luke
Eusebius identifies Luke as the author in Book 3, Chapter 4, Verse 1 and Verse 6.

Date: Dr. Craig Keener's date of the early 70's, for Acts alone, could be correct since it seems likely that there was a gap in time between the writing of the gospel of Luke and Acts.

Language: Greek, literary Greek

Place: Like the book of Luke, it could have been written when Paul was in prison in Caesarea, yet I think this is too early for "Volume 2."

Purpose: Acts 1:8

What kind of book?: Historical narrative.

Reflection: In 1996, when I was still a young Christian, I was in a singles group at The Falls Church (Anglican) in Virginia.  Rev. Bill Haley was our leader, and we were studying Acts.  One day, I read the passage on the subway about where God gives Peter the vision of the animals on the sheet which He has made "clean."  I did not get that whole thing.  I remember praying on the subway, telling God that I did not understand.  A few days later, I was listening to a Christian radio interview with Stan Telchin.  (His book Betrayed is a classic.)  Can you believe he talked about how that passage in Scripture had been one of the key passages that helped him to understand the purpose of the Messiah.  I realized I needed to understand the Mosaic Law context, and even the personal Hebrew context, in order to understand the passage.
Hunter Irvine
(1) Craig S. Keener, The IVP Bible Background Commentary, New Testament, (Downers Grove: IVP Academic, 1993.)