Monday, November 21, 2016

What if I do not feel like giving thanks?


I Thessalonians 5:18   “…give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (NIV).

   Recently I have not felt thankful much.  First, I have been unemployed for a marathon long time, which has been awful.  Second, it has been a longtime dream to be married, and this summer I attended a Christian singles group hoping to find a dating opportunity, but most in the group were older than myself, and I did not even come close to one date.  And further attempts to find a singles group for people in my age range in the Denver area came up empty.
   Jesus, when He was being crucified on the cross, did not give thanks He was saving numerous people.  Instead He cried out, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Mark 15:34 NIV).  That is because as He took the sins of all people upon Himself, He suffered the consequence of separation from God the Father.  There was actually a separation in the very being of God for a period of time for the sake of people.
   Even Christians are not always going to feel thankful in this fallen world where separation has taken place, and due to our own sinfulness.  Yet we followers of Jesus are united with God, indwelled with the Holy Spirit, thanks to that sacrifice by Jesus.  Thus we can always be thankful in our hearts, if for only one thing, for the fact Jesus died for us.  Jesus Christ died on a cross for the forgiveness of sins of anyone.  He was the substitutional atonement for the consequence of sins, which is spiritual death in hell.  Then He was resurrected.  If you believe in Jesus, you will be forgiven of sins, you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit, and you will have eternal life with Him.
Hunter Irvine