Monday, November 7, 2016

Colossians 4:18

Colossians 4:18    I, Paul, write this greeting in my own hand.  Remember my chains.  Grace be with you (NIV).

   In doing this study on Colossians, I have grown to admire Paul more as I have further realized he went all out for proclaiming the gospel.  That passion ended up getting him “under chains” for a long time.  When he wrote this letter, he was under arrest in Rome where he had been transported in Roman custody from Caesarea.  Previously, he had been in prison in Caesarea for two years, from 57 to 59 A.D. (Acts 24:27).  The reason: for preaching the gospel, as is shown in Acts.
   Before being sent to Rome, there was a new governor in Judea.  That new governor had a king, King Agrippa, listen to Paul.  Paul gave a defense to the king, including a testimony.  After being interrupted by the governor, Paul addressed the king: "'King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets?  I know you do.'
   Then Agrippa said to Paul, 'Do you think that in such a short time you can persuade me to be a Christian?'
   Paul replied, 'Short time or long—I pray God that not only you but all who are listening to me today may become what I am, except for these chains'" (Acts 26:27-29).
   Paul, after so much misery, could have quit.  Yet he continued proclaiming Christ crucified and resurrected before governors and kings, before common people, and in letters such as this one to Colossians.  And incredibly, his desire was for all to be saved, even those who had him in chains!  Because of his faithfulness, God used Paul to write Scripture which we are blessed by today almost two thousand years later.
   Tragically, a few years after writing this letter, Paul was executed for his witness of Christ under the reign of the Roman Emperor Nero.  Paul is in heaven now.  After studying this letter to the Christians at Colossae, if Paul were in the room I would give him a hug and say, “Thank you brother.”  And I conclude this personal commentary on Colossians by saying, “Thank You Jesus!”
Hunter Irvine