Friday, September 30, 2016

Colossians 2:1-8

Colossians 2:1-8    I want you to know how much I am struggling for you and for those at Laodicea, and for all who have not met me personally.  My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding, in order that they may know the mystery of God, namely, Christ, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge.  I tell you this so that no one may deceive you by fine-sounding arguments.  For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.  So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.  See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ (NIV).

   Paul states he is struggling for the church at Colossae and at Laodicea.  Whenever I hear about the city Laodicea, I think of the letter to the church in that city in Revelation 3:14-22.  It was because of the lukewarm hearts of the Christians at Laodicea that God was ready to spit them out.  Here is what the people needed to prevent that: love.  And God offers love.  In fact, Jesus even says in that Revelation passage that He rebukes and disciplines those He loves.  Paul wants the Christians to be united in love.  And love enables a person to grow in Christ.
   Paul states, “See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.”  Boy, where do I start with this one?  In the United States most of our public education system today is rooted in the basic principles of this world rather than Christ.  The only solution for those of us who follow Christ is to make sure we always are dependent on Christ.  The translation of “philosophy” is “love of wisdom,” and this passage teaches wisdom starts with Christ.  When we rely on Christ to be our ultimate teacher, our source of wisdom, and the One we turn to when everything seems to be going haywire, then we will not be led astray.
   Of the relevant issues argued today like drug use and sexual morality, we Christians can state our point in any classroom or at any lunch table, yet we will only convince people of the truth when our convictions are rooted in Jesus Christ.  He is the One who exposes and overcomes the deceptive philosophies which are void of true love.  The Bible shows Jesus loves everyone.  But you might ask: “Does Jesus really love everyone?”
   Do you know anyone who you think would die for you?  The fact is we cannot necessarily know if someone would die for us.  For example, there are people I would die for, but they might not even realize or believe that.  Maybe someone in your life would die for you whom you never even suspected.  And maybe during my life there have been people out there who would have died for me, and I did not even know it.  However the sad fact is I have never known a human being I thought would die for me.  No friends, relatives, Christians, or pastors come to mind when I try to think of a person who would die for me.  And if a human being did die for me, or if I died for someone, eternal life would not be the result.
   That is the sad news.  The good news is Jesus Christ died for us.  That truth, when accepted, exposes the false philosophies, traditions, and principles of this fallen world.  All people need love for eternal life, and Jesus offers just that.  Because Jesus loves everyone, He died on a cross as the sacrificial atonement for the forgiveness of sins of anyone.  Jesus paid the penalty which all people deserved.  When a person believes in Jesus, she or he has a Savior, a Lord, and a true Lover.
+ Thank You Jesus for dying for us!!!
Hunter Irvine