Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Colossians 1:9

Colossians 1:9    For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding (NIV).

   The “Lord’s Prayer,” recorded in Matthew 6:9-13 with a shorter version in Luke 11:2-4, was given by Jesus.  It was not a formula for prayer, rather Jesus was giving focal points.  I have worshiped in many past churches were we recited this prayer in unison as part of the worship.  A central focus of the Lord’s Prayer is “thy will be done.”  This is a call from God.  So naturally the will of God is what Paul and his brothers and sisters in Christ want the people at the church at Colossae to know so they may live it.
   After only being a Christian for several years, I started having some struggles after I was in love with a woman with whom things were not working out, and I realized I was off track in my “career.”  One evening after coming home from work, I sat on a stool in my little “efficiency” basement room.  I sat there for a while, still in my raincoat, feeling worn out on the inside.  I became convicted God’s will was the only way for goodness.  I then prayed to God saying, “Heavenly Father, I pray that I would do Your will and not my own.”  That prayer was a huge act in my early Christian life, since I opened a new door for growth in Christ.
   In carrying out the will of God, there has been much change in my life, much sacrifice in my life, and much unexpected hardship in my life.  Yet the result of doing so is I have been blessed to live by the love of God.  If you desire to do the will of God, goodness will result!
Hunter Irvine