Monday, April 14, 2014

The family of God


   Teaching in Appalachia, as I did as a "missionary" for seven months was intense.  It felt like I was in a Bible decathlon.  Yet I gave it my all!  My cultural background was so much different than their background.  However, in the family of God in this world, there are people with different interests, different convictions, different personalities, and many other things that are different.  Yet the unity in the family of God is that we all love Jesus, and we are all people.
   Deep down, my students in Appalachia were the same as the students I have had in Denver: they are simple young people.  And I loved them.
   Of all I taught, which involved many lectures and discussions, and even some activities, one of the most memorable lessons for me was when I taught about John 13:1-17.  I read the passage, which was unique since usually I have students read the passages, and then I stated that, unlike the Lord's Supper, Jesus did not wash the feet of the disciples as a message that Christians should start going around and washing everyone's feet.  The message is not about dirty feet.  The message of Jesus is that we need to serve people.  Having said that, I then told the class I was giving the offer for me to wash the feet of anyone who wanted to have his or her feet washed.  A few students quickly jumped at the opportunity to have their feet washed, and a few students, though hesitant, slowly decided to have their feet washed.  It was special for me, because after it was over, I realized there are not many students in America who have had their feet washed by their teacher.  How interesting I felt as though I had been privileged to do so.  I love the students in Appalachia.  And being their teacher, though it was only for a season, was a unique dream which came true for me.  I pray they will continue to grow in the love and knowledge of Jesus!
Mr. Irvine