Monday, August 27, 2012

Six people I admire

   I will speak for myself and say this human being is in need of encouragement in this world.  People who have lived in an ultimately loving manner, whatever their gifts, and in spite of their mistakes, offer encouragement even when that is not their intention.  I have been encouraged in my life by many, but here I list six people I admire.

*Billy Graham, due to his faithfulness to God.  In reading his autobiography, I was encouraged by his willingness to completely commit to God.  Considering the fallibility of us humans, giving complete control over to God results in utter blessings, though we may resist such at times.  Giving himself fully to Christ is what Billy Graham did, and look what resulted.

*Abraham Lincoln, due to his moral conviction.  Once a person asked me why I think he was so great.  My answer: Lincoln, in the midst of his genius, in the midst of his mistakes, in the midst of his humanness, always maintain his conviction from youth that slavery is immoral.  No pressure ever changed his conviction, and more and more he actually dedicated himself to working to bring an end to the horrible wrong.

*John Stott, due to his focus on Christ.  Though I have some doctrinal differences with him, reading a number of books written by John Stott in my early Christian years were an incredible blessing to me.  After turning to Christ, John Stott lived a life where Christ was central to his day to day living.  In all he did in a busy life as a pastor, evangelist, and author, his heart was submitted to Jesus.

*Frank Beamer, due to his loyalty.  Through all of the challenges of being a coach for a large university, Frank Beamer has remained loyal to the people he works with as the coach.  Now being the coach with the most wins of any active NCAA Division I coach after twenty-six years at Virginia Tech, there have been times when he could have been the football coach of another university making more money, or getting more attention.  Yet Frank Beamer has been loyal at his Alma mater, caring for the people he works with.  And he has been a loving guy in university community, the city of Blacksburg, Virginia, and even the entire country and world.

*Dr. David Beckman, for his perseverance.  Dr. Beckman is the best preacher I have ever heard.  And the reason I was able to hear him preach was because he has kept persevering through tough times and good times into an age where most ministers are not in the pulpit.  In addition to his phenomenal work at Colorado Christian University, he was the preacher for an interdenominational retirement community church for a total of about twenty years.  Since retiring the second time from Windsor Gardens Community Church, he still works to personally be a light for Christ at the retirement community where he resides.  Through times of illness of his wife, through times of personal illness, through times of hardship, he has continued to trust God, and still does unusual ministry work here in his "golden years."

*Richard, my dad, for his concern for people.  After turning to Jesus in his middle age, his interest in people has risen to a genuine concern for people.

Genuine heroes are a blessing from God.  Yet sometimes heroes let us down.  Sometimes heroes make serious mistakes.  Yet you will never be hurt or disappointed by Jesus if you believe in the One who is the Savior and Lord for all people who believe in Him.  Jesus is God the Son, and Jesus is perfect.
Hunter