Monday, September 29, 2008

Mark application

Regarding Mark, how do I apply this to myself?
   Mark 8:34 states: "Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: `If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me'"(NIV) (1).
Ever since I was given a small wooden cross at a youth ministry conference in the summer of 2000, I have worn that cross around my neck on a regular basis, usually on the outside of my shirt.  I remember years ago a woman at a Christian bookstore was talking with me as she was ringing up my purchase. We were having a nice conversation, and then she said, "Every time I see you, you are wearing that cross." No one had ever acknowledged noticing my daily practice of wearing a cross, and obviously it made me feel good that someone noticed.
   I child sit for my dear loving friends, Avery (4) and Daniel (3). This summer, Avery took my cross in her hands. (I was at her level sitting down or leaning down.) Avery asked, "Why do you always wear this?" I told her that the cross is a reminder for me of the love of Jesus. Yet it is also a way of expressing what I have chosen to do in my heart, which is to follow Jesus. Taking up my cross is a spiritual choice that I made to trust Jesus.

Regarding Mark, how do I apply this to my community?
 
   Now whether I am wearing my cross or not, what is critical is whether I am carrying my cross in my heart.  My wooden cross is simply an outward symbol of the commitment of my heart.  Once when I was having a real hard day at work when I use to sell outdoor clothing, I remember physically taking my cross in my hand. Yet again taking up my cross was about following Jesus in my heart, right smack dab in a busy community. Suffering is involved. Since turning to Jesus, in every job I have had, including some employment in churches, I have felt that I encountered hardships I would not have encountered had I not been following Jesus. There are people, some of whom who are active in churches, who are offended by some of the teachings of Jesus.  Yet since turning to Jesus, in working every job I have worked, I have felt as though obedience to Jesus enabled me to do the fulfilling work of being a witness to the reality of Jesus.
Hunter Irvine
(1) (Scripture taken from the Holy Bible, New International Version. Copyright 1973, 1978, and 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan. All rights reserved.)