Friday, March 1, 2024

Joel 1:8-18 Disaster cause and solution


   Have you ever been hungry?  When I backpacked the entire Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine in 1990, I had to carry all of my food for five to ten days in my backpack.  Thus I had to ration my food.  I burned so many calories out there, on most days I could have eaten much more.  I had more of an appreciation for food than ever in my life!

   For most of human history, until the past hundred plus years, farming was the livelihood for a majority of people in the world.  I have admiration for farmers!  We all need food, and farmers make that possible.
   In ancient Israel, most people farmed.  Crops were sowed in the soil.  Daily hard work went into planting, watering, and reaping crops.  Fruit trees were watered, pruned, and picked.  Farming was the staple of daily work.
   There was no electricity, no refrigeration, and no cans.
   There was only drying and storing.

   This tragic invasion of locusts in the time of Joel ruined the crops.  As Joel stated, “…the harvest of the field is destroyed” (1:11).
   The result: People were hungry.

   In telling of this disaster, I think it is purposeful that Joel focuses on the fact that grain offerings and drink offerings ceased to be made by most people at the temple in Jerusalem.
   Joel states: “The priests are in mourning, those who minister before the LORD” (Joel 1:9).
   Joel goes on to say: “…Come, spend the night in sackcloth, you who minister before my God; for the grain offerings and drink offerings are withheld from the house of your God” (Joel 1:13).
   I think Joel focuses on the end of those offerings at the temple since he is giving a preface for the reason for the disaster.  Jumping ahead to Joel 2:12: “Even now,” declares the LORD, “return to me with all your heart…”
   And in 2:13, Joel stated: “…Return to the LORD your God…”
   Many people had decided to ignore God.  Many people were doing what they wanted to do.  The result was devastating.

   Sometimes when suffering is so terrible, it is overwhelming for a writer to get into the details.  Joel tactfully gives a description of the terrible condition of Israel: “How the cattle moan!  The herds mill about because they have no pasture; even the flocks of sheep are suffering” (Joel 1:18).
   How terrible.

   Yet God gives Joel a solution, and Joel delivers the instruction: “…Summon the elders and all who live in the land to the house of the LORD your God, and cry out to the LORD” (Joel 1:14).

Hunter Irvine