Sunday, May 9, 2021

Reasons to improve sermons


   Why should sermons be retained as a part of a worship service?

   First, Jesus instructed: “And the gospel must first be preached to all nations” (Mark 13:10).  Preaching is needed!  Peter preached; one example is recorded in Acts 2:14-40.  Paul preached; one example is recorded in Acts 13:16-41.  Carried out by many Christians for nearly two thousand years, preaching has even crossed denominational borders, though with countless styles.

   Second, preaching is a spiritual gift.  Paul stated to Timothy, “Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to preaching and to teaching.  Do not neglect your gift…” (I Timothy 4:13-14).

   I do sympathize with people who are discouraged by the preaching in their church.  For example, I am an interactive learner.  A college professor who talked on and on usually did not engage me personally.  Still I would take notes in class, and then carefully study the notes before the test so I would get a good grade.  However, I was not learning much for the long haul.  Whereas when learning from a professor who asked questions, often termed the Socratic method, I would be more actively engaged since I could participate in discussion.  Thus I was far more likely to remember the material.  I need engagement!

   Regarding the improvement of preaching during worship, I offer two suggestions.

   First, make sermons shorter!  It is easy to say, but hard to do.  This is my personal goal as a preacher.  When I prepare a sermon, I immerse myself in that passage for one week.  Thus I become capable of giving a long sermon.  But the listeners have not been pondering the passage all week.  And if too much information is given, they may retain little.  Thus the best I can give listeners is a single message.  And the more I prepare, the more capable I become for giving a smoother and shorter sermon.

   Second, provide other opportunities for interaction.  In my next position, I want to implement a short time during the worship where people get into discussion groups of three or so, and give some insight between one another regarding the Scripture passage.  This is a radical idea, which I have never seen carried out in a worship service.  But I read this suggestion from a woman in a short article on the Internet, and I want to try it.  I think it has the potential of making worship more interesting or fun for many people.

   Even though I advocate shorter sermons and more interaction during a service, the bottom line is preaching is needed!  If you preach, give it your all!
Hunter Irvine