Saturday, November 14, 2020

Dr. Bill Watson of Colorado Christian University


   I give a personal note here, which is quite appropriate as I am posting these messages on the first chapter of Matthew, considering that Dr. William Watson was a Jewish man who turned to Jesus on a beach after hearing the Gospel from some Christians doing beach evangelism.

   Dr. Watson, the incredible professor of history at Colorado Christian University, passed away unexpectantly on Thursday.  A loss for the entire CCU community, there will be a void at CCU which will never be filled.  When I heard the news, I thought of something Dr. Watson told me in 2017 about a plan his wife had for them upon his retirement.  I have so much sympathy for his wife and family.

   I never had Dr. Watson for a class, yet being someone who was on campus often even in the summer, I talked with him sometimes.  Dr. Watson invited me to sit in on any of his classes, which was an incredible honor.  I did once, and his teaching enthusiasm was enough to take the roof off.

   Dr. Watson lived his calling.  At some point in his time as a university student, Dr. Watson started considering attending seminary with the aim of becoming a pastor.  Yet Dr. Ron Rietveld, of California State University, Fullerton, had a life changing influence on Dr. Watson, aiding him to realize his ministry calling was to be a teacher of history.  And carry out that passionate calling he did.  And being an expert in many areas, Dr. Watson was passionate that the Bible is true history, and Dr. Watson had a heart for witnessing Christ.

   Dr. Watson was the one responsible for bringing Dr. Ron Rietveld to speak at CCU in February of 2008 on the faith of Abraham Lincoln.  Thus Dr. Watson ended up indirectly blessing me since that event was used by God to seal my call to study at CCU.

   To be personal, my favorite memories are when Dr. Watson was the first person I ever checked a book out to in the CCU Library after gaining a job there.  I forgot to de-magnetize the book, and the security beeper went off.  Dr. Watson yelled out, “I am not stopping,” and he marched out the door.

   Then there was the time I was sitting next to Dr. Watson when the ambassador to the U.S. from Israel was a guest speaker at CCU.  Dr. Watson was asked to give the opening prayer, and he did so in Hebrew!  It was powerful.

   Several years after my graduation when I was on campus, Dr. Watson was walking home for lunch, and he stopped to talk with me.  I told him I was discouraged since I had been unemployed for such a long time.  He gave me a lead regarding a position which was only a temporary and part-time, yet I got that job, and it was one of the best ministry positions I have served in.  He was a blessing.  I am thankful I had the opportunity to know him, and I am thankful to God he is in heaven.

Hunter