Monday, May 1, 2017

Love

   Sometimes I struggle.  Recently I celebrated my birthday.  Every year in the past I have cherished birthdays.  Even as I get older, I continue with thanksgiving for how God has blessed me during another year.  But this past year, I have been so unsuccessful in gaining employment there have been rare feelings of diminished hope.  Also marriage has been a dream ever since my youth, but it has not happened after a half century.
   Working to stay encouraged by God, invitations were sent to a few friends for a birthday event.  The people who came: my dear friend who is like my sister and her children, of whom I am like an uncle.  Had they not been available, I would have been lonely on my birthday.  With such pathetic circumstances recently, I would have been crushed.  Instead, because of their expression of love, I had one of the best birthday parties I have ever had!
   Over the past 27 years of following Jesus there have been some occasions when I needed, truly needed, an expression of His love in some personal way.  This past birthday is an example where God gave me needed hope through the love of my three genuine friends.  Jesus Christ commanded we love God and love people.  My friends love Jesus, and they loved me on my birthday, and I am immensely thankful.
   So today, simply a statement from a teary eyed follower of Jesus saying if you love someone even this week, you may influence their life more than you can imagine.
Hunter