Thursday, February 11, 2016

What brings happiness? I John 4:16

I John 4:16   And so we know and rely on the love God has for us.  God is love.  Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them (NIV).


   I was having a good conversation this week with a bank teller who I think is cool.  She has many years of experience doing banking work.  Think of all the money she has been around for years.  In the midst of our discussion she said, "Money does not bring happiness."  I agreed, though obvious to us both was that some money is needed for physical living and blessings.  Yet not thinking quickly, I did not bring up the key question, "What does bring happiness?"  I would have told her I truly believe the one thing that brings lasting happiness is love, and that I believe true love comes from God.
   Never in my adult life have I had a Valentine.  Each year I hope it is the year.  Weeks ago, just after the Valentine's Day items were put in a store, I browsed through the items and chose what I would buy if I had a girlfriend.  But I did the same thing last year, and come the 14th, I did not even have a candidate.  And I probably will not have one this year.  There is only one comfort on lonely Valentine's Days for me, only one: that Jesus loves me.  There are plenty of things in this world which can bring me brief happiness, but they come and go like the wind.  The true love of Jesus, which does result in lasting joy in the heart, is eternal for those who will receive.
   Jesus Christ died on a cross for the forgiveness of sins of anyone.  He was the substitute for the consequences of wrongdoings.  "This is love: not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for our sins" (I John 4:10 NIV).  If you believe in Jesus, you will have everlasting life with Jesus, the One who loves you!
Hunter