Thursday, July 9, 2015

Jesus gave thanks - Matthew 14:19

   Matthew 14:19  And [Jesus] directed the people to sit down on the grass. Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then he gave them to the disciples, and the disciples gave them to the people (NIV).

   I did a Bible phrase search for "gave thanks," and who do you think was the primary person in the verses listed who gave thanks in the New Testament?  It was Jesus.  Involving the occasions of His miraculous feedings of the multitudes and His final Passover feast, the "last supper," before serving Jesus gave thanks.  That got me.  When Jesus started ministering, He kept revealing the kingdom of God to people, He did miraculous healing for people, and He died as the substitutional atonement for people.  The ministry of Jesus resulted in a reason for people to be thankful to Him.  Yet in the Bible Jesus is recorded giving thanks.  A hermeneutical message is we are to do likewise.
   I add when I did that little phrase search, two others who gave thanks in the New Testament came up: Anna who gave thanks to God when Jesus was brought by Joseph and Mary as an infant to be dedicated in the temple, and Paul before serving food in the midst of the trouble they were having at sea before being shipwrecked on an island in Acts 27.
   Now the phrase search was limited and many surely gave thanks to God during the years of the New Testament who are not recorded in the Bible.  Yet highlighted is the fact the Messiah gave thanks.  Jesus modeled what is instructed often in the Psalms - "Give thanks."
   Anytime is an appropriate time to give thanks to God, including before eating food, of which we have because God has created and provided.  And followers of Jesus can always give thanks to Jesus that He gave Himself as an atoning sacrifice for our sins to make the salvation of any person possible.
   Now I get to carry out an application of Scripture, and Scripture messages were always meant to be applied.  I want to take this opportunity to say, "Thank You Jesus!"
   For almost two years, I was on a wild ministry journey.  Colorado is a place where I have loving friends and my home of sixteen years straight.  Yet in 2013 I obeyed God and moved to teach Bible in a small school in Appalachia.  I did not want to leave Colorado, yet I did it.  Teaching at the school involved great ministry work, yet there were also serious challenges for an "outsider."  Then just as I was adjusting to my new residence in eastern Kentucky, away I went to Ithaca, N.Y., the complete other end of the cultural spectrum in the United States.  (And I do not mean to imply that one end of the spectrum is better or worse than the other end.  They both have their positive and negatives in my biased opinion.)  Having to shift gears completely, I then had the blessing of doing some college ministry work with a small yet loving and great group of Christians at Ithaca College called Awaken Fellowship.  Yet Ithaca likewise had its challenges for an "outsider."  And just as I was getting acclimated to Ithaca, I moved out shortly after the college school year ended at Ithaca College.  I miss the students.
   Then I did not know what God wanted me to do.  I was a nomad for a month as I searched unsuccessfully for employment with everything I own in the world, literally, in my car, and I slept in some campgrounds.  A blessing of being mobile was I had the opportunity to visit two places from my youth which I had not seen in over twenty years.  That was a precious opportunity.  Yet as the weeks went on, despair swelled, and sometimes I felt abandoned.  I add there was one person in particular who sent me emails with loving encouragement, and that was Kristin from Awaken Fellowship at Ithaca College.  I am grateful to God for sister Kristin, a young lady in whom I have seen Jesus more than in any other!
    Then, after much distress, confusion, yet also prayer, God opened up a door I was not expecting to be opened: I got to come home to Colorado.  After God sent me out of Colorado, which was so hard on me, I assumed it was a permanent move and that I would never be brought back.  Returning to the Denver area, I have realized how much I have missed my dear friends here.  I am thankful I was obedient and went on what turned out to be a two year ministry adventure, and likewise I am thankful I have been brought back to Colorado.  I say, "Thank You Jesus."
   I give thanks to God who enabled me to do ministry work over the course of the past two years which I could not have accomplished in any way, shape, or form without His help.  I was able to do good in the course of challenges in both Lost Creek and Ithaca thanks to God's help.  I enjoyed teaching Bible in Lost Creek, and most importantly I love the students I taught!  I was able to be a witness for Jesus there, even when I was having rough days.  Then in Ithaca there were blessings, and I love the students of Awaken Fellowship!  They are all dear to my heart!  And I had some blessed ministry opportunities there.  I give the glory to God.
   During my terrible time during my nomad month, and during some rough times in Lost Creek and Ithaca, Jesus was there to carry me.  Day after day God was there for me, thus I was able to persevere, even when I was having a rough time, and keep doing good.  What resulted was not only perseverance, yet also much fruit at all steps of the ministry journey.  Thus I say again, "Thank You Jesus."
Hunter