Saturday, April 4, 2015

Matthias, an apostle of Jesus

   Matthias was the apostle who was picked to replace Judas Iscariot after Judas committed suicide.

   The Hippolytus text, whose author is questioned, and which probably has at least a bit of corruption, yet which I think has serious validity, states Matthias had been one of the seventy, (called the 72 in many Bible texts), before he was chosen to replace Judas Iscariot.[1]  Eusebius wrote the same, I think utilizing this Hippolytus text, and maybe even a more pure copy of that text.[2]  Again, Eusebius' citing gives validity to this text.  The seventy-two disciples were chosen by Jesus, told in Luke 10.

   Jesus calls some to be leaders.  The apostles had special positions of leadership.  The “seventy-two” were called to be leaders.  Also the teachings of Paul instruct there to be church leaders in post-apostolic times of elders, with “overseers” and deacons.

   There have been countless disciples of Jesus throughout the past almost 2000 years who have been called to be leaders.  However the Bible shows Christian leadership is not an oligarchy.  The apostles and other disciples worked as a team, though with struggles, as I discussed in the introduction, with Jesus Christ always being the Head leader.

   Christian ministry is not about elite leadership as Jesus clearly taught:  Matthew 20:28  “…just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many” (NIV).

   True Christian leadership is not about being bossy.  This was incredibly illustrated by Christ washing the apostles’ feet!

   Dorman Newman stated Matthias ministered in Sebastopol, which is Ukrainian and Russian today.

   Dorman Newman stated Matthias was crucified in Sebastopol.[3]
-----    For those of you who have been reading along with this study of the twelve apostles, thank you.  My hope is that people have or will benefit from the hard work I have done.
   For many years, countless hours have been spent in Denver metropolitan area Christian bookstores.  One Saturday in my favorite bookstore, I moseyed into the back room where I had never been before, which was the kid’s section.  I wanted to see what books they had for young people.  After a time of browsing, I picked up a paperback which was mis-shelved.  I became excited as I read the title and then as I read a bit of the incredible content.  It was the book by Dr. McBirnie.  That began a study of these first Christian leaders.  They were not chosen by Jesus to be “rulers.”  They were not chosen by Jesus to be worshiped.  They were chosen by Jesus to be leaders in telling the Gospel.  The amazing thing is that if you are a follower of Jesus, you have the same calling.

+ Thank you Holy God for enabling me to persevere with this incredible study.  I praise You Jesus, my Savior and my Lord.
Hunter Irvine


   Thomas Chisholm, author of "Great is Thy Faithfulness," wrote in a letter in 1941, “My income has not been large at any time due to impaired health in the earlier years which has followed me on until now.  Although I must not fail to record here the unfailing faithfulness of a covenant-keeping God and that He has given me many wonderful displays of His providing care, for which I am filled with astonishing gratefulness.”[4]  During those years, he wrote one of the greatest hymns of the 20th century.
   Here is a link to his song sung by one of my favorite groups, Selah:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kgJwyXsQLM

[1] Alexander Roberts and James Donaldson. eds., The Ante-Nicene
Fathers: The Writings of the Fathers Down to A.D. 325 (1867; digital repr.,
Albany, Oregon: SAGE Software, 1996), 5:535.

[2] Eusebius, Eusebius’ Ecclesiastical History, trans. C.F. Cruse
(Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson, 1998), 28.

[3] William McBirnie, The Search for the Twelve Apostles
(Wheaton: Tyndale House Publishers, 1973), 244-245.

[4] Kenneth Osbeck, Stories of Favorite Hymns (Grand Rapids: Family Christian Press, 2002), 35.