Tuesday, June 25, 2013

1 Peter 4:12-19

I Peter 4:12-19    Dear friends, do not be surprised at the painful trial you are suffering, as though something strange were happening to you.  But rejoice that you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.  If you are insulted because of the name of Christ, you are blessed, for the Spirit of glory and of God rests on you.  If you suffer, it should not be as a murderer or thief or any other kind of criminal, or even as a meddler.  However, if you suffer as a Christian, do not be ashamed, but praise God that you bear that name.  For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?  And, "If it is hard for the righteous to be saved, what will become of the ungodly and the sinner?"  So then, those who suffer according to God's will should commit themselves to their faithful Creator and continue to do good (NIV).

   In my 23 years as a Christian, I have suffered as I have taken up my cross and followed Jesus.  Suffering has resulted from me doing His will.  And regarding suffering in general, a number of times I have told God I do not understand why He allows so much suffering in the world, yet that my hope is in Him.  We can be encouraged by Scripture that Jesus' sufferings had a good outcome.  Likewise, the suffering of a Christian has a good outcome.  And Scripture assures us that Christians will be saved from hell, where spiritual death takes place as punishment for doing wrong.  Doing wrong is a cause of suffering in the first place.  Whoever does wrong hurts himself or herself and often others who did not do such wrong.  Thus wrong doers deserve punishment, hell, and will be punished if they have not turned to the Redeemer, Jesus, the One who took punishment for sins in the place of people.
   And Scripture assures us that Christians will know God's glory, and in the present, Christians have the Spirit of Christ to rely on for comfort.  Our Creator is faithful.  My commentary here is short and concise for this clear passage, and I conclude by saying that in the midst of suffering, turn to our loving Father.  It is easy to say, yet hard to do when you are suffering so much that you just want relief from the suffering.  Yet pray when you are suffering.

+: I praise You Jesus that I bear the name Christian!

Hunter Irvine