Tuesday, January 29, 2013

1 Peter 1:8-9

1 Peter 1:8-9  Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy, for you are receiving the goal of your faith, the salvation of your souls (NIV).

    A friend and I were talking today in the CCU library.  In the midst of a theological discussion, he asked me, 'What is it to believe?'  Tough question!  "Believe" is used frequently.  Often around playoff time for any professional sport, the camera shows someone in the audience with a sign which says, "I believe."  They are trusting their team can bring victory.  And maybe there is a commitment to share in the victory or defeat.
    Believing in Jesus talked about here is more than simply believing He exists.  Judas Iscariot believed that Jesus existed.  And this believing is more than an intellectual conviction that Jesus is Lord.  I use to believe that in my youth, but such an intellectual attitude did not illicit any change or response for me.  Truly "believing" in Jesus is a full trust with heart and mind; trust in who Jesus is - the Messiah (Christ).
    Martha, in John 11:27, stated, "...'I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who was to come into the world'" (NIV).  Martha believed!  And it was a heartfelt belief.  That is why the same woman who had been preoccupied with kitchen duty was, in her grief, going outside the village to met Jesus.  Believing goes even one more step in committing your heart, which can be done by someone who trusts.
    I graduated from Virginia Tech in 1989.  Skipping details, it was on April 15, 1990, that I believed in Jesus in the full sense of the word; I gave my heart to Him.  Again, skipping details, about one year later I got involved in a church singles group, a special group in my opinion.  I soon befriended a guy in the group, Rae.  Rae, like myself, graduated from Virginia Tech, though he is older than myself, and I did not know him at Tech.  He told me of an occasion when he was a student walking either to or from class.  At Virginia Tech there is a corridor that goes through a long academic building which is like going through a tunnel.  He went through that, and just as he was about to walk out of it, a person jumped from the outside edge of the tunnel right in front of him and said loudly, "Are you saved?"  Rae wanted to say, 'Yes I am saved.  Are you crazy?"  We both agreed that startling strangers is not an effective method of sharing the Gospel.
    On the flip side, I find it sad that I have been in churches where little is said of salvation.  It is not even a big conversation item at CCU.  Students are more likely to talk about other subjects than soteriology.  Peter does talk about salvation.  Peter says salvation of souls is the goal of faith.
    May you know that Christianity is not a game.  Personally I enjoy some sports for entertainment, and I am not cutting down sports.  Yet when Virginia Tech wins a football game, I share in the victory, and when they lose, I share in the defeat, however, either way my life does not change.  Whereas believing in Jesus by an individual results in eternal life.  That is all you need to do to be saved!!  Praise be to God.  Do consider that doing so will mean your life will never be the same, because you will be bonded with the Holy Spirit, and you will be in an additional family.  Turning away from Jesus results in spiritual death.  Neither you nor I have seen Jesus in the flesh.  Peter did.  May we join Peter in trusting Jesus who does bring the joy of salvation!
Hunter Irvine