Monday, November 12, 2012

The third of four controversial issues: creation versus evolution

   One of my most boring classes at Virginia Tech was Biology.  For two quarters I had Dr. Patterson.  He was the nicest guy, but also a boring professor.  From those classes in 1986 and 1987, the main thing I learned is that calcium is used in a huge number of chemical functions in the body.  There you have it.  I am not a scientist of any sort.  High school Biology, Chemistry, and Physics will get me no where in the scientific world today.  Fortunately for me, and for others who are not science experts, we can still know God.  And in fact you will not discover God through science.  Why?  God is Spirit! (see John 4:24)  Being Spirit, we are only able to know God because He revealed Himself to us.  Incredibly enough, God has revealed Himself to us as the Spirit became incarnate (in flesh).  Jesus was fully God, and fully human.
What does this all have to do with evolution?  I propose you need to know God before you can truly understand what it is to be human, because of our limitations.  In knowing God, you learn that God is purposeful in what He does.  In God's creation, there is telos.  The theory of evolution is based on random activity.  Why?  Because mutations are random.  Not only that, mutations usually have a negative affect, not a positive affect.  Yet God did not haphazardly create the universe.  Genesis shows He created it with a purpose, and with distinct order.
   Within the Christian community, us folks who believe evolution is false (not to mistake evolution with adaptation, which are changes that take place which are available within the genes) are in a minority.  In fact, I think many in the Christian community look down on me because I believe evolution is false.  Yet I totally believe that Adam and Eve were real people.  I totally believe that living beings were created directly from the work of God.  I stand by my interpretation of Scripture.  And I encourage you to investigate the telos of God for yourself.
Hunter Irvine